[clug] partition tables in memory

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Sat Apr 16 22:34:09 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 18:11 +1000, Kim Holburn wrote:
> fdisk says this:
>
> Command (m for help): w
> The partition table has been altered!
>
> Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
>
> WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 16: Device or
> resource busy.
> The kernel still uses the old table.
> The new table will be used at the next reboot.
> Syncing disks.

This is a kernel limitation: it won't re-read the partition table if any
partitions on that disk are active.

I have a half-finished patch lying around that makes it re-scan the disk
and only refuse to apply the updates if any of the in-use partitions
themselves have changed.  I should finish it sometime....
--
Martin