[clug] partition tables in memory

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Sat Apr 16 11:32:18 GMT 2005

Kim Holburn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a linux server which needed more swap.  I added a new swap
> partition wrote the new partition table but it doesn't show up in
> /proc/partitions so I can't mkswap etc.
> # mkswap  /dev/sda8
> /dev/sda8: No such device or address
>
> Is there any way to get the kernel to reread the partition table or do I
> have to do the windows thing and reboot (and lose my uptime;-( )?
>
> Dell debian stable kernel 2.4.26 #1 SMP
>
> Kim

AFAIK, fdisk won't succeed in getting the kernel to re-read the
partition table unless all partitions (including any swap) are
unmounted.

For example, if Knoppix finds a swap partition on your disk, it
uses it. Subsequently, you can't use fdisk to repartition your disk
unless you first swapoff the swap partition.

So, unless you can unmount all your partitions (and swap), or unless
you are using LVM, you are just plain out of luck (AFAIK).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.