[clug] broadband usage on static IP

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Apr 12 01:38:55 GMT 2005

On 11 Apr 2005, at 12:43, Bill Clarke wrote:

> i'm wondering what the standard measure for "usage" is with a
> broadband connection with a static IP.  is it usual to charge for data
> even if the account is not logged on?

Fix the Internet so that SYN and RST packets take up no bandwidth, fix
BitTorrent so it gives up when the TCP connection fails. Fix the
trackers so they remove servers from the list the way they're supposed
to. Then start complaining about being charged for data you didn't ask
for.

> .. i'm a cheapskate ...

Penny wise, pound foolish.

I'm on a shaped plan with Velocity that costs me $22 a month. Shaping
means I don't have to worry about going over-quota. I only play games
anyway - if I was running a business that relied on the Internet for
income, different story.

People (such as you) who insist on going for cheap quota + expensive
excess plans are doing themselves a disservice. It's like cutting the
price of a car by taking out the seatbelts and using drum brakes to
save $50, and figuring that you're a good driver and you'll never have
an accident, so it doesn't matter.

For the plan I'm on, I get 60 hours of gaming entertainment a month for
the price of one trip to the movies (it'd cost even more if I took my
partner, since I'd be buying her ticket to). The extra $5 for the
shaped plan means you spent $10 less on antacid tablets each month.

At least in the days of dial-up with dynamic IPs, if you were seeing
lots of unexpected incoming traffic, you could just disconnect and dial
up again - $0.30 for a new connection is cheaper than a few megabytes
of excess charges.

If you're not planning on being connected 24x7 and being able to fund
that connection (even to the tune of an extra few dollars a month for a
shaped plan), why get a static IP?

> do other ISPs have this policy?

The money's got to come from somewhere. SYN packets do take up
bandwidth, especially when there are thousands of them each minute.
You'd probably be better off leaving the machine online and sending RST
packets back (along with ICMP host-unreachable), to save on the repeat
SYNs. BitTorrent is tenacious - it doesn't want to give up. So try it
out sometime - leave the machine connected for an hour while dropping
BitTorrent connections, then leave it connected for an hour while
rejecting BitTorrent connections, and compare the traffic. I expect
you'll have less traffic in the latter experiment. If the traffic
doesn't disappear within about 15 minutes (because BitTorrent thinks it
knows better than TCP or IP), then stop using BitTorrent, it's that
simple.

What sort of excess are you talking about here anyway?

Alex