[clug] DSL connection: modem or router?

Drew Parsons dfp110 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 28 01:55:10 GMT 2004

Hello all,

thanks again for the recommendations for ISPs.

Assuming I proceed with a new DSL connection rather than TransACT, would
you have any clear recommendation for choosing a DSL modem in preference
to a DSL router?
I understand the modem would give me more flexibility in the sense that I
can route the connection through a small server that I can set up and fine
tune myself.
But the router seems convenient in that it takes up less space, involves
less hassles.  All the household networking handled in one little box,
with a small degree of firewalling to help security.  I'd be thinking
about the Netcomm Wireless router, which also provides wireless for the
laptop around the house, as well as 4 ethernet ports.  Current offers have
it bundled with a PCI wireless card.
I would expect to run a mail server for my domain from a small server box
going through the router (if I go ahead with 1 static IP address).
I'm inclined in favour of this router.  Is there any reason why I might
regret going with it?
Drew