[clug] DSL connection: modem or router?

David Collett david.collett at dart.net.au
Tue Sep 28 02:25:56 GMT 2004

Drew,
If you get the h/w router, theres no reason why you cant still use a
little server PC (your mail server?) as the the default route with DHCP,
webproxy, etc, etc for all the other PC's. The h/w router can just
handle the internet connection for you and act as a hub/AP. You'll just
add one more hop to all your connections (no big deal).

I'd get the router, there cool. Mine is a Linksys WRT54G which actually
runs linux anyway :) (it doesnt have an ADSL modem though, I have a
separate ethernet ADSL modem)

Dave