[clug] USB Disk support under Woody

Rob Weir rweir at ertius.org
Thu Oct 28 07:57:44 GMT 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 01:45:45PM +1000, Stephen Hodgman said
> Hello all,
> I am trying to get a woody system to recognize a usb connected IDE hard
> disk.  Currently when I plug it in nothing happens.  The unit is
> recognized on a Fedora system though so it is working.
>
> Can somebody please let me in on the secret knowledge or point me to
> where I can gain the info required to get the setup correct for this on
> my Debian system?

If you have "hotplug" and a usefully new kernel installed with usb
modules, it should detect it automatically, and set it up as a SCSI
device.  backports.org has such ready-made kernels.

-rob

--
Words of the day:     INSCOM overthorw red noise advisors asset NSA White House