[clug] Spreading the joy!

Andrew Pollock andrew-clug at andrew.net.au
Wed Oct 27 01:36:46 GMT 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 05:07:41PM +1000, Rob McAuliffe wrote:
> Anyone else done anything chuckle-worthy?
>
> I once wrote a floppy with dd, didn't quite get the command right,
> though:
>
> dd if=./floppy.img of=/dev/hda
>
> Funny thing is, the machine kept running for about a week before I got
> around to re-installing...  of course there's always that risk that the
> power will go out...
>
> (teach me not to do everything as root...)

Bah, I switched to using sudo a while ago, because I didn't want to run as
root incase I tripped and hurt myself, and I ended up making more of a
mess...

sudo ifdown eth0; ifup eth0

really bites when you do it to a box 1000KM on a Sunday in a data centre
that isn't manned until Monday...

regards

Andrew

--