[clug] Spreading the joy!

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Tue Oct 26 23:23:57 GMT 2004

Well, I came into work yesterday to continue configuring a machine I had
been remotely installing late the night before. Couldn't log in as root;
not on the console, not over ssh, not using "su" (I could log in as me).

Turns out that /etc/shadow had gone walkies (we use LDAP for normal user
authentication). This machine has no CD or floppy, so couldn't boot up my
favourite rescue disk. Contemplated a network boot until Steve reminded
me that I could just pass the kernel "init=/bin/sh" and get a root prompt
that way.

In hindsight, I could probably have also gotten away with creating a temp
root user in LDAP.

Still don't know how I managed to obliterate /etc/shadow.

Bob Edwards.