[clug] [Offtopic] Canberra based employment for kernel hackers?

paul at pabryan.mine.nu paul at pabryan.mine.nu
Tue Oct 19 09:22:04 GMT 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 04:41:55PM +1000, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I may be looking for work soon, and wouldn't mind the possibility of
> staying in Canberra if it's possible. Can anyone provide pointers to
> people who might be helpful in finding Linux work in Canberra?

There may be a temp position (at least initially) coming up where at
work (CIT). The position will be basically bolstering our
resources. Currently there are two of us who administer GNU/Linux (yes
I went to see Richard Stallman) systems exclusively.

I've been trying to push for more GNU/Linux systems, and awareness
within CIT has certainly increased over the last year or so. The big
thing that helped out in that area was the Democrats bill late last
year (or was it early this year?). I've heard talk about setting up a
couple of open-source labs as well, which is promising.

Anyway, the position will be coming up in the next month or so, and if
anyone's interested, send a mail to Mick Sharp[1] to register your
interest. My boss was trying to get someone in this week, but as I'm
away on leave next week, it'll probably get pushed back for a couple
of weeks.

On a related note, I recently found out that the ATO and HIC (among
others) are doing their data mining on a Debian platform which is
really cool. They've apparently moved from big Sun boxes to Beowulf
clusters.

So, as Bob says, opportunities are increasing.

For the record, I don't get paid much either ;)

Cheers,
Paul.

[1] mick.sharp at cit.act.edu.au