[clug] perl question

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Mon Oct 18 00:17:58 GMT 2004

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if one of you perl guys out there could throw some
light on this question.

I have a perl script with a config file.  Recently it seemed to me that
it would be better to make the config file a perl fragment, (it just
does some variable assignments) and use a "do" statement to read it in.

Unfortunately it messes with my declarations.  If I declare the
variables anywhere in a "my" declaration the assignments don't work.
If I don't declare anything it all works OK.  I like to work under
"strict" but this doesn't any work more.  Something about packages?  I
never really understood about packages.  Do I have to declare these
local or something else?

Is there a debug command to show all variables and what type they are?

Kim

--
Kim Holburn
IT Manager, Canberra Research Laboratory

                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961