[clug] Whereis Problem

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Sat Oct 16 14:51:14 GMT 2004

Hi Folks;

I've hit a screwy one tonight. So far, every package I've installed onto my
FreeBSD box today causes the following error with whereis;

%locate nano
/usr/local/bin/nano
/usr/local/info/nano.info
/usr/local/man/cat1/nano.1.gz
/usr/local/man/man1/nano.1.gz
/usr/local/man/man5/nanorc.5.gz
<snip>
%whereis nano
Warning: couldn't stat file /usr/X11R6/man!
nano: /usr/local/bin/nano /usr/local/man/man1/nano.1.gz
/usr/ports/editors/nano

Locate can find it, but whereis complains about a missing manfile for an
unrelated package.

I've tried the locate database update script at
/usr/libexec/locate.updatedb, as well as #mtree -U -p /usr/local <
/etc/mtree/BSD.local.dist both without luck.

Nano will execute ok, I just get the error when I try a whereis. Only
problem I've had on the box before this started was a failed make on wget
due to dependancy issues.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Regards

Steve.