[clug] spam attacker

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Oct 12 00:23:44 GMT 2004

On 12 Oct 2004, at 08:15, Peter Barker wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Luke Worth wrote:
>
>> http://www003.portalis.it/115/ladvampire.html
>> How many people know about this? seems like a good idea to me.
>
> Argh! Vigilantes!
>
> I'm not in favour. Let's see:

  - You have no guarantee that the site is attacking spammers
  - How do you know that the sites being attacked are owned by
    spammers? What if the sites have been "owned", and you're
    costing someone money because they didn't properly secure
    their servers? Isn't it polite to let them know that their
    server is broken before attacking them?
  - as per the censorware debate, how do you know that the
    vigilante site isn't simply using you to attack their
    ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend, least favourite cause, etc?

Vigilante action is never "justice", and is usually based on revenge.
Some interesting reading about vigilantism:
  - "Vigilantism, Vigilante Justice, And Victim Self-Help"
    http://faculty.ncwc.edu/toconnor/300/300lect10.htm
  - "Vigilante neighbors in court for branding molester"
    http://www.freep.com/news/locoak/spat6_20020806.htm
    (now ask yourself the question - what if the boys' mother was
    acting on suspicion or even flat out lying?)
  - "Vigilante justice: a proper response to Government faiure"
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/anderson/anderson6.html
  - "Spamming for Assholes" (it's an US site, so the
    US spelling) http://www.gettingit.com/article/149

For all you know, the guy setting up that "Lad Vampire" site might just
be trying to boost his site hit counters, thus increasing is
advertising revenue.

Regards
Alex Satrapa

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we
can solve them."  --Isaac Asimov