[clug] Mail server stuff.

Paul Warren u3292467 at anu.edu.au
Mon Oct 11 03:20:09 GMT 2004

Paul Warren wrote:
> I've got no idea about mail stuff.  I uses pop3 to get my mail, and my
> ISPs smtp server to send.  So please apply the cluebat!
>
> I've been asked to fix up mail things for a mates small business.
>
> What they have is one pop3 email account that is a catchall for their
> domain.  They want that to be split into different accounts locally, one
> for the CEO at domain.com, one for Sales at domain.com, one for
> deliveries at domain.com etc etc.
>
> I don't really even know what this sort of thing is called, so google
> isn't much help to me at the moment.
>
> What should I be using to bring mail down, and sort it into different
> pop3 accounts? something like fetchmail and exim or something?
>
> It isn't a large network, so It will probably be happening on a
> 'busybox' firewall/nat box,  Debian with security updates is what I
> would use.  Any other suggestions?
>
> Prepares for Cluebat attack!

Okay, I've done that job, turned out to be fairly easy, once I'd worked
out what all the components needed!

The setup ended up being:

ISP -> Fetchmail -> procmail -> qpopper ---> user1
					|--> user2
					|--> .......

to use a non-port 25 mailer in fetchamil, just have a
MDA "/usr/bin/procmail -f %F"

then it all works!

If I left out the "-f %F"  qpopper couldn't handle the mail, had a message
  Unable to process From lines (envelope), change recognition modes

and all the help I found from google, mentioned nothing about "-f %F"
for that particular error!

Another thing,  Does anyone have an Idea what rates I should charge?

Considering I'm an amatuer with a fair amount of SYS Admin skills and
linux troubleshooting, but having no qualifications

At the moment I charge $25 an hour, less, if it's something I've never
done before (like this mail stuff).

CHeers
--
Paul Warren