[clug] tty -> SSH

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Oct 7 23:12:23 GMT 2004

On 7 Oct 2004, at 18:25, Joel Plane wrote:

> I have a Linux box and its sitting there display the progress of a
> file transfer through wget (for example).

If you haven't already been using tty-snoop or screen (which require
modifications to the system in advance of your need, so you must have
been prescient), you could:
  - check the size of the file on the file system
  - start another wget of the same file, through the same proxy, and see
where it
    gets up to in the first few seconds (ie: see how much it gets from
the proxy)

ie: check the side effects of the task.

Or call someone who is in the physical proximity of the machine, ask
them to wake up the screen (press a "safe" key like shift or caps lock)
and tell you what they see. Unless you've got a console lock active, in
which case you're SOL :)

Regards
Alex

Count your joys instead of your woes; Count your friends instead of
your foes. (Irish Proverb)