[clug] IBM laptop prices and other suppliers

Michael Carden crash at michaelcarden.net
Tue Oct 5 09:34:26 GMT 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 03:51 pm, Drew Parsons wrote:
> I'm interested to hear what suppliers you might recommend around Canberra,
> particularly for the DSL modem/router I've been asking about

That's the kind of 'commodity' hardware that I'd suggest buying via an online
retailer.

> and for a
> simple server box too.

Second hand P3 boxes with RAM and HDD space thrown at them can be good for
this, so long as 'simple' doesn't encompass 24/7 performance in a
mission-critical transaction processing environment.

> I've had good experience with Harris Technologies
> in Sydney, but I don't think they have a branch in Canberra.

As Steve has pointed out, HT are in Fyshwick almost opposite the Post Office.
My personal experiences with HT have been less than impressive on several
levels, but the most important to me is that their after sales 'service' is
non-existent. I was going to say that it sucks, but it isn't quite that good.

> I'm also interested in purchasing an IBM R51 express laptop (512MB RAM,
> 60GB harddrive, 1.5GHz Centrino)  [Is there any reason why this would be a
> bad laptop for Linux?]  IBM's web site lists it at $2349,

Sounds excellent to me. Let us know how you go Linux-ing it after you buy it
so that dreamers like me can live vicariously through your experience.

MC

--
http://michaelcarden.net