[clug] Wireless hotspots.

Andrew Pollock andrew-clug at andrew.net.au
Wed May 19 02:44:16 GMT 2004

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 07:07:38PM +1000, Steven Hanley wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 04:59:14PM +1000, Francis James Whittle wrote:
> > At least for CSIT personnel/students, there is a wireless network
> > available for which to have to register your MAC address.  AFAIK, it's
> > pretty dismal though - certainly everyone I know with a wireless-capable
> > portable doesn't think very much of it.  Internet access, etc. is as per
> > infocommons.
>
> Hmm, we (TSG at DCS) would like some more information. As far as we know all
> the wireless in RSISE,DCS,Ian Ross,Engineering (ANUNorth wireless network)
> works fine. (we (Bob and I) use it all the time, as do many staff and we
> assume students also (going by hte number registered, and looking at some of
> the traffic on the network)

Steve,

I've found it hard to find information on how to get up and running. I can
get on, get an IP address, but that's the end of it. I'm of the
understanding that the only traffic allowed out is VPN traffic? I'm not sure
where to VPN to though...

That said, is it really necessary to have that VPN enforcement? It
overcomplicates things somewhat. It's already locked down by MAC address, so
randoms can't get on, and anyone doing stuff not over SSH or SSL can expect
to get sniffed.

Andrew