[clug] Wireless hotspots.

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Wed May 19 02:52:15 GMT 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 12:44:16PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> I've found it hard to find information on how to get up and running. I can
> get on, get an IP address, but that's the end of it. I'm of the
> understanding that the only traffic allowed out is VPN traffic? I'm not sure
> where to VPN to though...
>
> That said, is it really necessary to have that VPN enforcement? It
> overcomplicates things somewhat. It's already locked down by MAC address, so
> randoms can't get on, and anyone doing stuff not over SSH or SSL can expect
> to get sniffed.

Um, yes. you can set your MAC address to whatever you like. Just sniff
to find someone else's MAC addresses, set yours to the same and off you
go. Obviously, don't try to use it at the same time as the guy you're
"borrowing" from.

At least with a VPN you know who you're talking to.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/