[clug] Fixed IP ISP

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Thu May 13 07:08:31 GMT 2004

Erm, I may have to hold you up on part of that. One problem with using a
DHCP address for SMTP is if the destination server is using the SORBS (or
any DNSBL) to limit spam. As the address is part of the registered IP DHCP
space, the DNSBL part declines the connection.

Drove me mad trying to find out why I wasn't getting emails from a friend
through to my work email until I checked the log. Lo and behold, SORBS/DNSBL
was rejecting the mail, as they are on a ADSL service with a Dynamic DNS for
their domain.

As a simple solution, Dynamic DNS tools are great, but for hosting your own
server, they do have drawbacks.