[clug] Fixed IP ISP

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu May 13 07:22:55 GMT 2004

On 13 May 2004, Steve Walsh <steve at nerdvana.org.au> wrote:
> Erm, I may have to hold you up on part of that. One problem with using a
> DHCP address for SMTP is if the destination server is using the SORBS (or
> any DNSBL) to limit spam. As the address is part of the registered IP DHCP
> space, the DNSBL part declines the connection.
>
> Drove me mad trying to find out why I wasn't getting emails from a friend
> through to my work email until I checked the log. Lo and behold, SORBS/DNSBL
> was rejecting the mail, as they are on a ADSL service with a Dynamic DNS for
> their domain.
>
> As a simple solution, Dynamic DNS tools are great, but for hosting your own
> server, they do have drawbacks.

Right, but even if you get a static IP option, you may still be listed
in some of these RBLs which cover consumer/dialup blocks.

I don't think home machines are the right place for running highly
available servers, and for casual servers dyndns is often fine.  I
think the space were you can tolerate ADSL dropouts but you can't
tolerate DNS propagation delay is pretty small.  But that's just my
opinion.

--
Martin