[clug] Networking problem

Andrew Pollock andrew-clug at andrew.net.au
Sun May 2 04:42:08 GMT 2004

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 12:33:35AM +1000, Prometheus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with my home network. I have one gentoo box and a
> windows box, and I have been pinging each machine to make sure the
> network is ok. The windows box can ping the gentoo box, but the gentoo
> box can't ping the windows box.  I have added the ip address of the
> windows box to the /etc/hosts file of the gentoo box, but still getting
> no where. Any ideas?

Are you getting an ARP response from the Windows box when you ping it?

i.e. ping it, stop the ping, and check your ARP table (arp -an) and you
should have an entry with the Windows box's MAC address. If you've got this,
the two boxes can at least see each other, and you just need to concern
yourself with why the Windows box isn't responding to the pings. Ethereal is
your friend. Stranger things have happened, your Gentoo box might even be
discarding the echo replies.

regards

Andrew