[clug] Getting knoppix to boot

Michael James Michael.James at csiro.au
Wed Mar 3 06:36:53 GMT 2004

Has anyone had trouble with knoppix?
Enough to know some tricks when it doesn't boot?

I'm interested in BioKnoppix, and have the current version,
 (based on KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-10-??)
 but after it recovers the memory from initrd,
 it can't mount root and panics.

So I tried KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16
Got the iso from mirror.aarnet, burned it and booted.

Worse, gives me the splash screen and "boot:" prompt.
Blank screens and kills the keyboard.

On "failsafe" it tries to uncompress the kernel
 and complains about the compression.

The hardware is fairly standard:
  Asus motherboard with P4 and SIS chipset,
 Cheap nvidia geforce graphics.

Does knoppix "simply work" for everybody?
michaelj

Michael James                         michael.james at csiro.au
System Administrator                    voice:  02 6246 5040
CSIRO Bioinformatics Facility             fax:  02 6246 5166