[clug] LONG - Anti Spam Laws (Spam Act 2003) - a simple outli ne.

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Mon Jun 28 00:23:29 GMT 2004

Tom quoted:

> 6. Consent
>
>There must be consent for the message to be sent. Consent can be:
>
>Expressed. Simple - you gave permission for the message to be sent to
>you. Abuse of pre-ticked boxes in forms is something to watch out for.
>
>Implied/inferred. This issue gets murky, but the general advice is
>that:

I'd also say that consent is implied if you subscribe to the CLUG list
and the CLUG list has an agreed policy for (relevant) advertising. While
the issue may get murky, the post seemed reasonable, and when things are
unclear, "reasonableness" usually prevails. The CLUG advert policy was
discussed in some depth not too long ago.

My feeling is that many people have developed a sore-spot for *any* form
of email advertising due to the pervasive and un-relenting tide of spam.
As it is, the flame-wars are now consuming more of my time than the posts
themsleves. ;-p

Antti