[clug] BigPond ADSL + IPCop

John newsx1 at bestpond.com
Sat Jun 26 04:01:19 GMT 2004

Hi Ian,

> I want to set up an IPCop v1.3 box for a friend of mine who uses
> BigPond ADSL.  She has an ethernet-connected Alcatel SpeedTouch Home
> DSL modem.  I think that the modem has an address of 10.0.0.138 and
> does not run DHCP by default.

I have now said good riddance to Bigpond, however I used the Alcatel modem with IPCop 1.3
initially with Bigpond, and then with Internode until that modem was melted by lightning. I now
use a D-link.

Anyway, my setup was two network cards in the old Ip-Cop box, the one on the Green
network ( eth0 -the home network) was given an IP of 192.168.0.254 in line with the internal
IP range using 192.168.0.x  as far as the Red Card (eth1 - the internet side) I set that to use
DHCP and connected the modem to it. This worked OK.

In setting up internal PC's I simply used the Green card IP as the Gateway.

> What are the IPCop settings that I need for the "red" interface?  I've
> already had one try at this but had little success in the time
> available to me.

These links may help:

http://www.trinitycs.com.au/tips-adsl.html
this refers to smothwall & cable but you will get some info.:
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/lwells/smoothwall/0.9.9/final/bpalogin/index.html
and on DSL:
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/lwells/smoothwall/0.9.9/final/adsl/index.html

Hope this helps,