[clug] Recommendations for store and forward mail servers?

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Wed Jun 23 05:39:42 GMT 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 12:18:57PM +1000, Michael Still wrote:

> Heya,
>
> so, I'm after a store and forward mail server for my laptop. I want it
> to accept mail destined for anyone on the loopback interface only, and
> only attempt to deliver it to the upline smarthost when I tell it to (ie
> when the VPN client is connected).

I have looked for very basic store and forward mailserver, but most
really simple ones can't queue anything and end up dropping mail on the
floor is the mailserver is temporarily unreachable :(. I generally
setup exim so that it's not listening on a port (no inetd, no daemon).
But programs like cron and mutt call /usr/sbin/sendmail to send mail.
The ip-up script runs runq. Upping the max queue time is probably a
good idea, it is after all configurable.

Good luck.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/