[clug] Free Lossless Audio Codec

Stephen Jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Thu Jun 17 08:06:11 GMT 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Darren Freeman wrote:

>              =20
>=20
> On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 00:39, David wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have been using flac for a few years now to backup my CD collection.
> > To give you a real world example of the compression, I wrote a little
> > program to calculate some statistics, the results are:
> >=20
> > albums: 334

More humour, perhaps irony.
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/3.08/thompson_pr.html

Here's a link to an interview with Ken Thompson on his jukebox.
MP3 wasn't on the scene when he started, so he picked up some work from
some co-workers, rewrote it in C and made it run a couple of times faster.

In this piece he mentions he's got 20,000 of the 35,000 songs he wants.
[All the 'Top 10' tunes for a few decades.]
Says to talked to 'legal' who said there was a 'fair use' clause for
research.

>=20
> You've just admitted in a public forum to 334 counts of copyright
> infringement. More if we count each track or byte separately. I suggest
> you change your identity and hide out in New Zealand where they tolerate
> crazies like you.
>=20
> (Note: I'm kidding around! See the recent discussion here on the U=00hu

cheers
sj

Steve Jenkin, Unix Sys Admin
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)