[clug] ADSL modem/router hell...p

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sun Jun 13 00:06:58 GMT 2004

On 16 May 2004, at 17:50, Jade Barton wrote:

> Do ISP's not give you a modem/router with your connection anymore?

Most ISPs will sell you a "free" USB modem with their long-term plans.
Other (more honourable ISPs) will sell you a modem/router/4-port-switch
for between $90 and $300 separate to their plans.

Personally, I'd prefer to set up my Linux router with a PCI internal
ADSL modem, and an Orinoco wireless card. I'd love something like the
XC-Cube from AOpen, but it only has 1 spare PCI slot :( Otherwise it's
ideal - nice and quiet, and looks like a household appliance :)

Regards
Alex

Alex Satrapa                               LPO 5010
Software Engineer               Canberra University
Mobile: +61 4 0770 5332            Bruce, ACT, 2617
ICQ:5691434                Jabber:Bunyip at jabber.com