[clug] SuSE 9.1 ISOs? Or other suggestions?

Andrew Goodall andrew at fumpet.net
Mon Jun 7 13:38:29 GMT 2004

On 07/06/2004, at 9:29 PM, Tony and Robyn Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 12:31, Collins, Steve wrote:
>> Equally, I am open to suggestions of distros worth trying (and why).
>> I'm not doing a huge amount of non-web programming (mostly
>> Coldfusion, some PHP and trying to learn Java).  I'm happy to work
>> with "difficult" distros - the experience can only make me a better
>> user ;)
>
> OK, I'll bite.  Nothin like some distro wars.
>
> I like debian.  I "found" it a couple of years ago, and I mainly like
> the package management - the ease and speed of updates, and the
> (usually) pretty tight dependency management.  Not a hand-holding
> distro, though, and it's sometimes difficult to tell why you want one
> package over another.  Wouldn't be much fun over dial-up, though.

I'm far from experienced but I've been using primarily RedHat and more
heavily Gentoo for a little while now.

I installed the latest Debian stable last week for the first time. I
found it very easy and it all went fine but I must say I was a little
disappointed. I mean, I can see why it is popular after using RedHat
<ducks for cover /> and enduring the world of RPM but Gentoo is so much
more flexible and straightforward from my perspective. Debian has been
around longer than Gentoo so I expect is more popular (has a larger
subscriber-base) but I haven't encountered a single incentive to switch
from Gentoo.

I should point out that my interest in Linux is primarily on the server
side as I find MacOS X streets ahead of any other GUI I've experienced.
Will I get removed from the list for saying that? ;)