[clug] cd protected cd ?

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Wed Jun 2 13:20:32 GMT 2004

Pietro Abate <Pietro.Abate at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> In particular I've two: "came away with me" and "feels like home". Both
> from blue note and experience the same problem with both while I've not
> problem with others... I've tried ripping these cds with xcdroast.
> Which backend did you use ? cd2wav ?

I've ripped all but the last track on "Come Away With Me", using both
cdparanoia and cdda2wav. My results varied widely using different CD
drives, and not at all with different software. I've been completely
unsuccessful in my attempts to rip the final track. I'm running Debian
GNU/Linux, I don't have a Windows box in the house to try ripping with.

I recommend returning the disc to wherever you bought it and demanding a
refund. I'd do the same, but my wife would get upset. I have a hard time
convincing her of the ideological benefit, and she doesn't think it's a
big deal that I can't play it on the computer. She just wants to listen
to it on a normal CD player.

For those recommending grip: It's just a frontend. It uses cdparanoia
(and other programs?) to do the actual ripping of the data off the CD.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org