[clug] Open File Limit (ulimit)

Doychi darkmist at goldweb.com.au
Tue Jun 1 05:38:36 GMT 2004

Hi All,

I seem to have a problem changing the number of open files a user can have.  I
want to set it above the 1024 for an application I am running.  When I modify
the file /etc/security/limits.conf so that the user "verity" has the lines
something like this:

verity        soft     nofile     10000
verity        hard     nofile     20000

But when I login again and try to use ulimit as the user I get the error:

bash: ulimit: cannot modify open files limit: Operation not permitted

or

bash: ulimit: cannot modify open files limit: Invalid argument

Does any one have any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
--
Justin