[clug] XP and partitions

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Tue Jun 1 01:31:59 GMT 2004

On  1 Jun 2004, Simon Burton <simon at arrowtheory.com> wrote:

> I need to install XP along side (one of) my linux partitions.
> Does anyone know if XP will respect these partitions, lilo etc. ?
> The MS site seems to say it does, but I don't believe them :)
>
> Even better, I might see if I can stick another drive in the box
> and let XP have the whole drive.

I did the second of these on the weekend.  (Cries of "Shame!")  It
worked fine.  I think the first will be OK as well.  If you have
or can afford a second drive then it's probably safer.

The only trick is that NT will (by divine right) overwrite the boot
sector, so you won't be able to get back into Linux.  To get it back
you need a boot disc such as LNX-BBC, from which you can reinstall
grub or lilo.

You can also tell the NT bootloader to load Linux.

--
Martin