[clug] Help with virtual domains

Michael Komnacki michael.komnacki at gmbarchitects.com
Mon Jul 5 00:32:44 GMT 2004

I am new to Linux and ma after some help setting up virtual domains in Postfix on our mail server running Mandrake

Our office has a mail server running Mandrake 8 with Postfix. It delivers email to Windows workstations via IMAP. Each user has an account on the mail server where email addressed to the is delivered and then forwarded to their workstations.

When the mail server was initially setup, it was setup with the name "Intranet" and domain name of "canberra.mgtarchitects.com". We then registered the domain name "mgtcanberra.com". I added this domain as a virtual domain by adding it to the end of the mydestination setting in /etc/postfix/main.cf.

This worked fine and we could recieve email addressed as user at canberra.mgtarchitects.com and user at mgtcanberra.com.

We have now changed our company name and registered new domains reflecting the name change. "gmbarchitects.com" and "gmbarchitects.com.au"

I add these domains to the mydestination setting in /etc/postfix/main.cf, but nothing happens. The email going to the new domains seems to get bounced.

I also tried using a text file with the domain names, and mydestination looking in this text file. This didn't work either.

I have just tried it by adding the following lines to the /etc/postfix/virtual file.

mgtcanberra.com                        Domain
postmaster at mgtcanberra.com    postmaster

gmbarchitects.com                        Domain
postmaster at gmbarchitects.com    postmaster

I then ran the commands

postfix reload
postmap /etc/postfix/virtual

This doesn't seem to work either.

We can send email through our local intranet ok but we can't receive email from outside.

I would greatly appreciate any help getting the virtual domains recognised by the outside world.

Please reply using the email address michael.komnacki at mgtcanberra.com

Regards

Michael Komnacki
Systems Manager

In reply please quote Project Code

Guida Moseley Brown Architects
Telephone  + 61 2 6280 7080
Facsimile  + 61 2 6280 7090
E-mail     Michael.Komnacki at gmbarchitects.com
Web        www.gmbarchitects.com

This message is intended for the named recipients only,
and may be confidential.  If you receive it in error,
please notify and then destroy the copy of the message.
Guida Moseley Brown Architects does not represent, warrant
or guarantee that the integrity of this communication
has been maintained, nor that it is free from errors,
virus or interference.