[clug] Samba help

Stephen Collins trib at stephencollins.org
Sun Jul 4 21:27:03 GMT 2004

I'm trying to set up a couple of shares on a newly built Fedora Core 2
box on my home network.  I have the latest Samba installed and working
and have tried configuring it via Webmin and by hand, but no joy thus far.

Here's what I'm trying to achieve:

1. homes share for users whose names don't match on the WinXP box I'm
trying to share to.  Using username map to /etc/samba/smbusers in
smb.conf for the Linux users trib and alli thus:

trib = Stephen
alli = Allison

homes has allowed users set explicitly, I'd like to set it generically.
~ trib can see the linux box (mordor) from the WinXP box, but can't get
on.  The WinXP box pops up an auth dialog every time and no combination
of username or password allows the user on.

2. www share for the /var/www directory.  I haven't got anywhere with
the above yet, so I hope solving that solves this.

Here are the relevant bits of my smb.conf.  Any advice welcome.

[global]

~        # base defaults
~        server string = Samba Server
~        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
~        max log size = 50
~        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
~        # DOMAIN name
~        workgroup = MIDDLEEARTH
~        # descriptive name
~        # OS level "newer than NT4"
~        os level = 99
~        encrypt passwords = yes
~        security = user
~        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
~        winbind use default domain = no
~        template shell = /bin/false
~        dns proxy = no
~        netbios name = mordor
~        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431