[clug] Xinerama with a Radeon mobile chipset

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu Jul 1 05:09:05 GMT 2004

Hey follks,

I have a quite nice ThinkPad. It has a Radeon Mobility video card in it,
which has an external video oriface. I assume that I can drive this
separately from the internal LCD monitor -- I haven't tried yet with
Windows. An lspci says:

0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250
Lf [Radeon Mobility 9000 M9] (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
         Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0531
         Flags: bus master, stepping, fast Back2Back, 66MHz, medium
devsel, latency 66, IRQ 11
         Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
         I/O ports at 3000 [size=256]
         Memory at c0100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
         Capabilities: [58] AGP version 2.0

What I want is to be able to use the latop dual head with an external
monitor, but also quickly and easily swap back to having the external
monitor display the same thing as the internal monitor for presentations
(at 1024x768). All the xinerama stuff I find on the web seems to be
aimed at people with two video cards.

I'm an XFree gumby, although I can't imagine this is too hard to do. Has
anyone got something close to a canned config, or hints that they would
like to share?

Cheers,
Mikal

--