[Fwd: Re: [clug] webcams for Linux]

Jepri jepri at webone.com.au
Wed Feb 25 08:35:20 GMT 2004

Tony and Robyn Lewis wrote:

>Mikal wrote:
>

>>I like OV511s. Open source driver in the kernel, 640x480, 30 fps,
>>cheap. A  sample image from one is at
>>http://www.stillhq.com/cgi-bin/webcam
>>
>>Mine is a Genius (but the insert logs a "Lifeview RoboCam"). There
>>isn't  an identifying number on it or anything, but you could always
>>plug it in  at the shop to test it. You can also find a list of OV511
>>based web cams  at: http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/cameras.html
>>

>Thanks Mikal, but I'm still struggling.  Spent the afternoon surfing Aus
>online shops and ebay, and trying to match the models up.  Seems like the
>new ones on the market are not yet known to work with Linux.  Can you
>recommend a shop in particular?
>
>And how cheap is cheap?  My current best bet is a Creative WebCam PRO for
>about $106.  More than I wanted to pay, but might be worth it, if the
>quality is good.

Tony, or Robin, or both:

Optics is still one area where you get better gear the more you pay.
There is a certain cost to machining parts to a certain quality.

The best I can recommend is that you head over to
http://www.dansdata.com and check out what he has to say about cheap
cameras.  His articles won't help you find a linux-compatible camera but
they will prepare you for the disappointment of slapping down $100 and
discovering that all your photos look like they were taken at the "Wonky
mirror arcade" carnival sideshow.