[Fwd: Re: [clug] webcams for Linux]

Tony and Robyn Lewis beakysnugger at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 05:09:24 GMT 2004

Mikal wrote:

> I like OV511s. Open source driver in the kernel, 640x480, 30 fps,
> cheap. A  sample image from one is at
> http://www.stillhq.com/cgi-bin/webcam
>
> Mine is a Genius (but the insert logs a "Lifeview RoboCam"). There
> isn't  an identifying number on it or anything, but you could always
> plug it in  at the shop to test it. You can also find a list of OV511
> based web cams  at: http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/cameras.html

Thanks Mikal, but I'm still struggling.  Spent the afternoon surfing Aus
online shops and ebay, and trying to match the models up.  Seems like the
new ones on the market are not yet known to work with Linux.  Can you
recommend a shop in particular?

And how cheap is cheap?  My current best bet is a Creative WebCam PRO for
about $106.  More than I wanted to pay, but might be worth it, if the
quality is good.

Tony