[clug] [OT] EMI "copy control" on Linux

Grant Baldwin kermee at softhome.net
Fri Feb 20 10:16:52 GMT 2004

> On 15 Feb 2004, at 22:37, Grant Baldwin wrote:
>
> > Wait till you see the full text of the FTA before you jump on the
> > Slashdot bandwagon.
>
> I'd prefer to know what is going to be in the FTA *before* my
> Government binds me to it.

Well seeing as (last I checked) the full text hasn't been complete yet
(http://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/negotiations/us.html)...

Then it needs to pass senate committees...

Then it needs to pass both houses of parliament (and possibly state
parliaments depending on the exact provisions required)...

...I think you have a bit of time before your "bound" to it.

Other assorted info:
* http://www.copyright.org.au/PDF/InfoSheets/G070.pdf (see page 4: no
copying cds, what-so-ever)

*
http://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/negotiations/us_fta/outcomes/08_intellectua
l_property.html specifically:
"[The IP chapter]  Harmonises our intellectual property laws more
closely with the largest intellectual property market in the world,
which is recognised as a global leader in innovation and creative
products.
    * At the same time it allows Australia considerable flexibility to
implement the Agreement in a way that reflects the interests of our
domestic interest groups and Australia's legal and regulatory
environment."

In other words: not a direct implementation of the fundamentally broken
DMCA laws.