[clug] [OT] EMI "copy control" on Linux

Paul Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Mon Feb 16 12:02:00 GMT 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 09:28:08PM +1100, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> On 13 Feb 2004, at 20:22, Martin Schwenke wrote:

> >Warnings are clear enough and, now that I've been bitten, I'll be more
> >careful in future.  I thought of taking it back (to the local JB HiFi
> >store), but I can listen to it "good enough" in most environments...
> >and it's an excellent album.

As has been observed before, make a DAO-read copy and listen to that,
and wait hopefully for Philips to get their asses in gear as regards
passing-off.

> That's exactly what the record industry wants to hear.

> And thanks to the DMCA which we're inheriting as part of the "Free"
> Trade Agreement with the USA, the mechanism that you described to get
> to the music will become illegal. You circumvented a copyright
> protection mechanism. Naughty you.

Depressing, after reviewing the copyrigh act after last year's
Sony Defeats Personal Importation full-bench FCA judgement,
even something like a foreign-bought DVD-player for playing
foreign-bought DVDs is quite likely illegal.

Or at least that's my first impression. I think the DMCA is
_less_ forbidding under the circumstances.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.