[clug] [OT] EMI "copy control" on Linux

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Wed Feb 18 11:08:24 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 20:37, Kim Holburn wrote:
> At 8:29 PM +1100 2004/02/18, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> >On 15 Feb 2004, at 22:37, Grant Baldwin wrote:
> >>Bearing in mind that in Australia we already have no 'fair use' rights,
> >>naturally.
> >
> >But we do have the right to make backup copies, to protect ourselves from
> > damage to media.
>
> Actually I don't believe we do in Australia.  I believe you are not allowed
> to make copies of Copyright material like music CDs.  I don't think you're
> even allowed to rip a CD onto your iPod.

A quick google turned up the following:

"The Future of Fair Dealing in Australian Copyright Law"
http://elj.warwick.ac.uk/jilt/copright/97_1brud/contentf.htm

The main point is that the law in this area is a mixture of black letter law
and common law.  In particular, I believe that it is common law that allows
someone to legally make backup copies of something they own.  There is no
black letter law stating 'you are allowed to make copies for backup purposes'
- just a history of legal precendents.  (Usual disclaimer applies: IANAL.)

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--
Rasjid Wilcox