[clug] [OT] EMI "copy control" on Linux

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Wed Feb 18 09:37:29 GMT 2004

At 8:29 PM +1100 2004/02/18, Alex Satrapa wrote:
>On 15 Feb 2004, at 22:37, Grant Baldwin wrote:
>
>>Wait till you see the full text of the FTA before you jump on the
>>Slashdot bandwagon.
>
>I'd prefer to know what is going to be in the FTA *before* my Government binds me to it.
>
>If beef and wheat exports to the USA have to suffer just so we don't have to accept the DMCA, then so be it!
>
>Or to paraphrase most posts to Whingepool, "if there are limitations, it's not *free* is it?"  ;)
>
>>Bearing in mind that in Australia we already have no 'fair use' rights,
>>naturally.
>
>But we do have the right to make backup copies, to protect ourselves from damage to media.

Actually I don't believe we do in Australia.  I believe you are not allowed to make copies of Copyright material like music CDs.  I don't think you're even allowed to rip a CD onto your iPod.

>I'll make a point of obnoxiously complaining that, "this isn't a real CD... I want this music on CD please" next time I'm out buying music.

If it's a real CD it complies with the CD "Book" and it has the Phillips CD symbol on it.  If it's copy protected it's not a "CD" and it doesn't have the CD symbol on it.  I got caught with one of those.  I took it back.

Kim
Kim Holburn
Network Consultant - Telecommunications Engineering
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
Australian National University - Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)