[clug] Printers for Linux

Pearl Louis pearl.louis at anu.edu.au
Sat Feb 7 14:44:57 GMT 2004

Hi

I'm looking at buying a printer.  I'm a student and therefore want to go el
cheapo :)

I was wondering if people here could give me some advice on which brand I
should go for?  Epson?  Lexmark?  HP?  Canon?  The criteria I'm looking at is
firstly it should be a company that is Linux friendly (this is not
idealogical - I just want a printer that's well supported).  And secondly it
has good value with its ink cartridges.  I'm wary of printers that are
ultra-cheap but have ink cartridges that cost more than the printer.  Of
course I could just buy a new printer for the cartridges and then throw one
of the printers away but that's not very environmentally friendly.  And I've
heard some companies play tricks with their ink cartridges with chips in the
cartridges.

Thanks!
Pearl