[clug] Printers for Linux

Michael Manning michael at catman.homelinux.org
Sun Feb 8 03:18:02 GMT 2004

I have just bought myself a Canon i560 (bubble jet with separate black
and colour cartridges) Print head rated for 30K pages. $20 black
cartridge, and $23 for each of the colour. I have used Turboprint (works
a treat with CUPS) to gain full functionality from the printer and it is
working like dream.
Prints approx 22ppm in draft, and you would not laugh at the draft
quality either for personal reading.
Should be able to get one from around $270-300 - this all depends on how
far the el cheapo budget wants to stretch

Just my 2 bobs worth

On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 01:44, Pearl Louis wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm looking at buying a printer.  I'm a student and therefore want to go el
> cheapo :)
>
> I was wondering if people here could give me some advice on which brand I
> should go for?  Epson?  Lexmark?  HP?  Canon?  The criteria I'm looking at is
> firstly it should be a company that is Linux friendly (this is not
> idealogical - I just want a printer that's well supported).  And secondly it
> has good value with its ink cartridges.  I'm wary of printers that are
> ultra-cheap but have ink cartridges that cost more than the printer.  Of
> course I could just buy a new printer for the cartridges and then throw one
> of the printers away but that's not very environmentally friendly.  And I've
> heard some companies play tricks with their ink cartridges with chips in the
> cartridges.
>
> Thanks!
> Pearl

Michael Manning