[clug] More ADSL modem/ router/ wireless questions.

Tony and Robyn Lewis beakysnugger at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 22 08:01:19 GMT 2004

> I'll looking at getting a D-Link M-DSL-G604T
> (http://www.dlink.com.au/Default.aspx?ArticleID=740) and the NetGear
> WG511 and 311 cards (one for the laptop). Does anyone have experience
> with any of these? I do know to be careful of revisions, esp. with the
> 311.

I have a WG511 for the laptop.  Works* in both Linux (using prism54 module
under (currently) 2.6.8 kernel) and Win XP.

* The only grief I have is sometimes she locks up.  It seems to be related
to how far away I am from the access point.  Down the far end of the house
it happens maybe every 30-60 min.  In the same room, maybe once every few
hours if that.

Running...

    ifdown eth1; ifup eth1

... solves the problem.  I jiggered sudo and put a launcher item to do
this with a click.

We bought a WG311 at the same time, but it's used in a Win XP-only box.
Seems to do OK.

Tony