[clug] Broadcom 4306-based Airport adapter.

Rob Weir rweir at ertius.org
Mon Dec 13 14:28:13 GMT 2004

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 08:57:39AM +1100, Brett Worth said
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 01:52:30AM +1100, Francis Whittle wrote:
>
> > I just bought a brand-spanking-new 15" Powerbook G4.  The Airport
> > adapter is not based on the Orinoco chipset, but a Broadcom 4306.  Has
> > anyone had any success on getting one of these working with Linux
>
> I gave up and bought a PCMCIA card.  The stupid thing is that this chipset
> is used in an ADSL router (I forget the brand) that runs Linux so there's
> drivers written.  The people involved are glad to USE opensource but wont
> contribute.

Linksys's wrt54g thingies have binary-only mips drivers for this
chipset, apparently.  There is some work on coming up with Free drivers
that might bear fruit in the next couple of months.

-rob

--
Words of the day:    ASIO Defcon tempest USDOJ Albright spies IMF warfare codes