[clug] Offtopic/FS: MPEG4/DVD player

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sat Dec 11 05:07:52 GMT 2004

Simon Haddon wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 10:44 +1100, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
>
>>Andrew Smith wrote:
>>
>>>And a DVB-T receiver, mmm...
>>>
>>>Speaking of which, has anyone played with a PCI version under Linux
>>>yet?  I notice Jaycar have a $170 Vision HDTV card and HT have an
>>>Avermedia for $150 (SDTV?).  I've found Avermedia's stuff is good for
>>>the price, while the 2nd hit on Google for the Vision card was about the
>>>card freezing and playing up.
>>>
>>>http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4819&CATID=&keywords=hdtv&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=
>>>
>>>Andrew

>>Talk about thread hijacking....
>>
>>Nevertheless, I use the AverMedia DVB-T, both the old (a 761) and the new 771.
>>You need a very current kernel for it to work properly (2.6.10-rc2-mm4 is a
>>good one). I saw a large DVB patch hitting bk just yesterday.
>>
>>The old and new cards use different frontends (tuners). The old one has bad
>>sensitivity but the new one is good. So make sure you get the one called
>>"DVB-T 771" and not the old one which is called just "DVB-T". The new one
>>has the "771" in large letters on the tuner module on the PCI card itself.
>>

> I have one of the new ones and have finally got it recognised under
> Linux.  I still can't get any from end programs to recognise it yet.
> MythTV sees it but I can't get a picture and other TV front ends don't
> want to interface to it.  What are you using for the front end viewer.

I use MythTV 1.6 (the Debian package). I had it working with 2.6.10-rc2-mm[34]
and now 2.6.10-rc3-bk3 seems to be OK too. 2.6.9 does not work, neither is
2.6.10-rc[123].

> The reason I'm poking my head in is that I'm trying to build a PVR.
> Grabbed a MiniQ box which is very quiet and comes with a remote and I
> have 2 cards in it.  1 is the A180 that sits in the graphics slot and
> has a nvidia chip on it.   The other is the 771 you mentioned.
>
> I might try the latest kernel and see if it helps me.

Yes, do grab the latest -bk or go with 2.6.10-rc2-mm4.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/>
	If attaching .zip rename to .dat