[clug] Offtopic/FS: MPEG4/DVD player

Simon Haddon simon at sibern.com.au
Sat Dec 11 04:25:19 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 10:44 +1100, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> Andrew Smith wrote:
> > And a DVB-T receiver, mmm...
> >
> > Speaking of which, has anyone played with a PCI version under Linux
> > yet?  I notice Jaycar have a $170 Vision HDTV card and HT have an
> > Avermedia for $150 (SDTV?).  I've found Avermedia's stuff is good for
> > the price, while the 2nd hit on Google for the Vision card was about the
> > card freezing and playing up.
> >
> > http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4819&CATID=&keywords=hdtv&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=
> >
> > Andrew
> >
> > On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 09:04, Brian Morris wrote:
> >
> >>Alastair,
> >>
> >>That unit would be perfect if only it had an ethernet port.  ;)
> >>
> >>Regards,  Brian.

> Talk about thread hijacking....
>
> Nevertheless, I use the AverMedia DVB-T, both the old (a 761) and the new 771.
> You need a very current kernel for it to work properly (2.6.10-rc2-mm4 is a
> good one). I saw a large DVB patch hitting bk just yesterday.
>
> The old and new cards use different frontends (tuners). The old one has bad
> sensitivity but the new one is good. So make sure you get the one called
> "DVB-T 771" and not the old one which is called just "DVB-T". The new one
> has the "771" in large letters on the tuner module on the PCI card itself.

I have one of the new ones and have finally got it recognised under
Linux.  I still can't get any from end programs to recognise it yet.
MythTV sees it but I can't get a picture and other TV front ends don't
want to interface to it.  What are you using for the front end viewer.

The reason I'm poking my head in is that I'm trying to build a PVR.
Grabbed a MiniQ box which is very quiet and comes with a remote and I
have 2 cards in it.  1 is the A180 that sits in the graphics slot and
has a nvidia chip on it.   The other is the 771 you mentioned.

I might try the latest kernel and see if it helps me.