[clug] Trouble mounting USB drive partitions

Edgecombe, Scott Scott.Edgecombe at AirservicesAustralia.com
Fri Aug 13 01:22:05 GMT 2004

Brendan,

What sort of devices are your USB devices? Are they all block devices,
that is, disks? You can look in /proc/bus/usb/devices to see if your
device have been seen by the kernel drivers.

You may need to get an alternative usb driver for specific types of
devices.

Cheers

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-bounces+scott.edgecombe=airservices.gov.au at lists.samba.org
[mailto:linux-bounces+scott.edgecombe=airservices.gov.au at lists.samba.org
] On Behalf Of Brendan Henderson
Sent: Friday, 13 August 2004 11:11 AM
To: linux at lists.samba.org
Subject: [clug] Trouble mounting USB drive partitions

Got these entries in /etc/fstab :-

/dev/sda1  /mnt/usbhd1  vfat noauto,user,rw,syc 0 0
/dev/sda1  /mnt/usbhd2  vfat noauto,user,rw,syc 0 0
/dev/sda3  /mnt/usbhd3  vfat noauto,user,rw,syc 0 0
/dev/sda4  /mnt/usbhd4  vfat noauto,user,rw,syc 0 0

And I can issue 'mount /mnt/usbhd1' and 'mount /mnt/usbhd2' and all
works
fine but when issuing 'mount /mnt/usbhd3' I get error 'mount : /dev/sda3
is
not a valid block device' and the same for 4. Same result with 'mount -t
vfat /dev/sda3 /mnt/usbhd3' and 4. /mnt/usbhd3 and 4 do exist. Anybody
got a
heads up.

Brendan Henderson (newbie)

Scanned by WinProxy