[clug] ssh / mail problems

Andreas Bauer baueran at in.tum.de
Thu Apr 29 16:42:51 GMT 2004

Dear list,

I'm using a local postfix install to relay mail onto my university
account.  In my .xsession I have:

/usr/bin/ssh -L 2525:remote-server:25 -l username -N remote-server &

This works nicely, for a while at least.  If, for some reason, my wlan
connection drops or some other weirdness occurs then my ssh connection
silently drops, too.  In that case, I don't get a notification, or
anything.  Of course, from that point on, all mail is silently dropped
as well.

So, my question is: what's a better way of tunneling SMTP and how to
make lost network connections (and the like) explicit to the user?
Has anyone got a similar setup running and knows how to deal with
problems like that?

Thanks for any help,
Andi.

--
(o_  Andreas Bauer, baueran at in.tum.de, http://www4.in.tum.de/~baueran/
//\  "If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your