[clug] wierd messages in the syslog

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Apr 26 08:06:28 GMT 2004

On 26 Apr 2004, Joel Pearson <pearj at writeme.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, it turns out this error was fairly regular
> rougly every 15 minutes.  So I got ethereal to monitor the traffic around
> about the time the error shows up and it turns out samba is broadcasting
> itself to all the interfaces, including the internet one.  So I added an
> interfaces = eth1 to the samba conf, and the errors seem to have gone away.

If you're worrying about stuff like this it might also be interesting
to run Snort.  It does a bit more interpretation than Ethereal.  On
the other hand it generates a lot of noise on an internet-connected
machine, and it might itself have vulnerabilities.  It is interesting
to play with though.

--
Martin