[clug] Problem w/ Samba on Linux

Jalil Feghhi jalil at securia.com
Thu Apr 15 01:09:30 GMT 2004

I am new to Samba and am having a hard time to get it to work on my RH
linux. I have tried to read the troubeshooting docs on the web but have
not been able to resolve my issue.

I am using Samba 2.2.7. My samba configuration is very simple and seems
to be fine as I can view the shares using the smbclient from linux.
However, from Windows, when I do a 'net view //<my samba server' I get a
'Network Path not found" error. I ran 'nbtstat -c' and I see my samba
server name in the cache mapped to the right IP address. I have also
checked and I can ping my samba server fine. I also looked at network
traffic and I see some packets sent to port 445 of my samba server which
does not exist. Not sure if that has anything to do with it though.

I would appreciate any help. Please reply to my email address as I am
not yet part of the list.

Thanks,

-Jalil