[clug] Installing kernel headers

Paul Bryan paul at pabryan.mine.nu
Wed Apr 14 11:08:50 GMT 2004

vi /On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 08:15:14PM +1000, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> On 14 Apr 2004, at 18:02, Michael Still wrote:
>
> >If I am meant to install new headers, what is the best way of doing it?
>
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make-kpkg binary
> scp ../kernel*.deb root at host:path
> ssh root at host
> cd path
> dpkg --install kernel*.deb
>
> Though I may be wrong.
> Alex Satrapa

That's fine. It'll make 4 deb's. One for kernel-image, one for
kernel-source, one for kernel-doc and one for kernel-headers.

You can also do:

make-kpkg kernel_headers

to get just the headers.

Keep in mind that depending on what you want to compile, you may need
the full kernel source and not just the headers. For example, I built
the bcm4400 ethernet drivers with just the kernel headers, but the
linux-iscsi drivers need to be compiled against the full source.

Cheers,
Paul.